01/4Tahira Kashyap gets admitted in the ICU, suffers side-effects of having bittle bottle gourd

Tahira Kashyap gets admitted in the ICU, suffers side-effects of having bittle bottle gourd

The next time you decide to lay blind faith on a vegetable, thinking of it to be purely healthy, filmmaker, author and cancer survivor has a message for you- please don't.

The 38-year-old writer and director, who has an active following on social media recently took to Instagram to recount the horrid experience of spending two days in the ICU, after she mistakenly consumed bitter bottle gourd juice, which turned out to be toxic.

ALSO READ: Why you shouldn't have raw food, according to Ayurveda

Like they say, too much of something can never be good, Tahira quipped that she suffered from a case of bottle gourd toxicity. The entire incident gave her a bit of a health scare, as she suffered from an extreme case of food poisoning.


02/4How can bottle gourd turn toxic for use?

How can bottle gourd turn toxic for use?

Bottle gourd toxicity is a health condition which can lead to poisoning and disturb blood pressure levels in the body. While bottle gourd, locally known as 'laukee' or ‘doodhi' is considered to be no less than an antidote containing powerhouse of nutrients benefitting weight loss, cholesterol and blood sugar reduction, it can be troubling to one's health if it is consumed in its raw form, or when it's extremely bitter and induce serious digestive problems.

Taking to Instagram to share her own experience, Tahira mentioned that the one mistake she made was to confuse the vegetable juice's bitterness to be 'normal', which unfortunately didn't bode well with the body.

Mentioning that she was regularly consuming bottle gourd juice with haldi (turmeric), she confusingly mistook the bitterness to be normal because of the 'high Vitamin C' in it, but ended up suffering badly. After gulping down the concoction, she ended up puking several times in a day, and later had to be hospitalized.

Also read: Beware! You have been drinking green tea all wrong!

Further warning her fans to look into the green juice or any concoction they take, her Instagram post read:

"Pls read about BOTTLE GOURD TOXICITY! I might be sounding all sorted and cool in this video that I made from my set, but I was in deep sh#%!Sharing deets as doctors also asked me to spread the awareness around too. I have picked my phone on all those who I know have the #greenjuice Bottle gourd toxicity has dire consequences, and dire is an understatement. Please read in between the lines. It’s lethal. In the name of health just don’t keep popping juices! There was a reason why I was in the ICU for the same, don’t want to divulge more gory details, but pls spread the word around #bottlegourdtoxicity #dhudhi #greenjuice"


03/4What should you know about bottle gourd toxicity?

What should you know about bottle gourd toxicity?

While Tahira's back home all safe and healthy, bottle gourd toxicity is an extremely worrying cause which can lead to a serious health issue. Not only have a lot of health experts stressed on the need to look into the labels behind many commercially-available green juices, but it's also important to remember that not all vegetables can be consumed raw, or trusted blindly. Bottle gourd, for one, can prove to be no less than a health hazard, and never advisable to be eaten in its raw form.

As per experts, while a lot of the produce available in the market today can be laced with chemicals and undergo preservation, which make it absolutely unsafe to be had raw, bottle gourd, or laukee can have adverse side-effects if consumed raw, and go bad over time. Thus, it's always safer to have it in its cooked form. Boiling, blanching or pureeing it and consuming it as a soup can be much safer, and healthier.

Particularly, bottle gourd can have some certain compounds in it such as tetracyclic triterpenoid , or cucurbitacins, which can induce toxicity if consumed raw. The toxicity can adversely impact digestion and lead to a lot of abdominal discomfort, gastrointestinal issues and other severe symptoms.


04/4What are the signs you need to be careful of?

What are the signs you need to be careful of?

With vegetable toxicity, which can be a very commonly committed mistake, any problems should be attended to at once, since they can turn serious enough to require hospitalization and intensive care. With bottle gourd toxicity, some of the serious symptoms can include:


-Severe abdominal discomfort


-Puking and nausea

-Hematemesis (Vomiting blood)

-Extreme low blood pressure levels (between 30s and 40s)


-Colon bleeding

If you experience any of these concerning symptoms, seek medical attention at the earliest.